Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! My plan is to use this website to send updates from Port-au-Prince, Haiti. As many of you know, I just finished my PhD in Physiology and will be attending Cornell Medical next fall. In the meantime, I will be doing some mix of HIV/AIDS research and clinical care in Haiti. For 6 months (Jan 09-June09) I will be working with GHESKIO (the Haitian Group for the Study of Kaposi's Sarcoma and Opportunistic Infections). You can google GHESKIO and read all about them.

In effort to get ready for Haiti, I have been keeping a daily study schedule of both HIV/AIDS (since this is NOT my current specialty) and Haitian Creole, the national language. Although neither of those were really required for the job, HIV/AIDS is extremely fascinating and I would like to be able to communicate with indigenous patients while there.

Mandy is planning on joining me in Haiti at some point. I believe she will be trying to take prosthetic limbs and other therapy devices. Please let me know if you have any items you believe the people in Haiti could use. Haiti is an extremely poor country in need of quite a bit. They did not choose to be born in Haiti any more than you chose where you were born. Haiti also has the highest non-African HIV/AIDS prevalence.

Please check often; I will try to update this as time and resources permit!

No comments: