In light of comments I received on blog posts, I may post one or two more (or just keep this going forever).
In the midst of moving to NYC, I have little time. However, religious phenomena are never far from my mind. I recently received a religious card. Now, I am grateful and happy to receive cards, especially considering it meant some one was thinking of me; so don't mistake this for ungratefulness. However, I am increasingly surprised that people choose to send their religious beleifs to others in this form. How strange it would be if I sent out Agnostic cards for events:
"Despite the fact that current evidence suggests there probably is no higher power, I still hold that perhaps one day evidence might suggest there is. Either way, we dont know....Happy Birthday!"
I feel as if this card would upset a Christian, who might respond with "this is ridiculous, we are chilren of the christian God!"
Will there ever be a time when people recognize that the essence of faith is doubt, not knowing? People are people, despite the fact that some were born in a place that affords them a different opinion on matters that cannot be proven. In this world of ever-colliding cultures, we should be cognizant of the differences in opinion we hold over things for which there is little evidence.
Then again, perhaps I am being overly critical of people wanting to share the joy they share in their personal faiths. This I understand, for the joy I find in evidence-based thinking is considerable.
May you find joy in your heart (now this sounds like a card...).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment