Saturday, February 11, 2012

Orthopaedics

Well, I have decided to do Orthopaedic Surgery as a career. For many reasons that are of little interest to you, the reader. In brief, it combines my love for musculoskeletal medicine with Surgery with research. It is the perfect fit. I have also found that I am much more suited to the Ortho surgeries than I am the general surgery. That is, bending over for hours over someone's abdomen or throat as we cut and dissect was fun, but not nearly as fun as reducing bones back together, pining them with big screws, or screwing in plates to hold them together. Further, the concept of bone metabolism has taken ahold of me, specifically cancer in bone. I plan on doing Orthopaedic Oncology, which will also allow me to work with children with cancer (bone tumors) as well as do relief work in places like Haiti, when they need trauma/ortho surgeons to come in and help in the wake of disaster. General surgery, medicine, Rad onc, heme onc; none of these allow me to do all of these things - Ortho does. Now I have to figure out how to match at a hospital for residency! Orthopaedics is one of the most competitive specialties to get into!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats sir! It's a fantastic field, and I have no doubt that you'll be a fantastic addition to the world of ortho oncology!

Gentry said...

Awesome, Matt. Maybe you remember, but a good ortho guy put me back together after my car accident. Great choice. Any chance you'll come to HOuston? It's not that bad! Gentry

Matthew said...

Of course - Dr Jernigan, right! Yes, I will be applying broadly for residency so we'll see where it lands me!

great to hear from you,
mg