Thursday, February 12, 2009

Dirty Hands

Yesterday I saw patients all day. It was very exciting. I think it will give me an appreciation for seeing patients in the states. Yesterday I had to continually ask the Dr. with me “Is she ok? Why won’t her partner wear condoms? Etc.” But was fun to get in there and work. Thus begins my clinical training I guess!

Last night I walked down to the market with two of the girls I live with. It was interesting; we stopped to buy vegetables and had some trouble getting change. W e gave the bill to the woman and she acted like we gave her exact change even though I had already piped up from behind my roommate (who was doing the buying) and said “Chanje, oui?” At any rate, we finally got our change. It then happened again at another vendor. It made me realize that the night we bought beer on the street for the super bowl we went through the same hassle. Then I remembered, when Eric (the guy that is down here running the orphanage; I went with him to the orphanage my first day here) bought food off the street, he waited for them to take out change and exchanged the money he was paying with for the change with one hand, in one motion. I think that is the way you have to do it, especially if you are a blan.

Things have been quite exciting at GHESKIO lately. Tuesday we were at a big reception all day – the new facility (more exam rooms, nice science labs) was being dedicated – the Warren D. Johnson Jr Center. I will try to attach some pictures from the ceremony. It was a bit amusing because some very fancy French dignitaries were in town as well as some big wigs from Cornell. This meant that secret service was at the ceremony. It’s just as you picture it in the movies, big Haitian men with dark sunglasses in suits. One side note – there were nice finger foods, etc being served…and rum punch. It just made me laugh because the rum punch is akin to “hunch punch” in the states, which you would normally mix in a big trash can for a huge party. Here it was part of this very elegant ceremony, in an unmarked pitcher. But, rum punch is served for everything here. They make their own rum here, so it is a nice local thing.

Finally, I am writing this update while at work (Friday) before things start. It is a continual struggle to find both toilet paper and soap while here. I finally have begun bringing my own TP. In days passed I would ask staff for TP because the restroom was out and on more than one occasion was handed a wad of fast-food napkins. Also, there tends to be no soap in any bathroom. Sometimes you can find a can of AJAX and wash with that. I have been bringing sanitizer to work each day, but I see that many other people and Drs. do not. This is confusing to me. By the time I leave in July I would like to see germicide in every room. Perhaps I will send an email about it today. Today I forgot my germicide cleaner. The bathroom had no soap. I managed to find a small dried bar in the kitchen. But no water in the building is working. There was some standing water in the sink, but I decided I should take my chances with what I have touched thus far in the day rather than dip them in that water. I never thought I’d be preparing to see patients and have such a hard time figuring out how to clean my hands. To all you health care providers in the states and elsewhere- take advantage of the ease of access to germicide and even good ol' soap and water! Don’t put your patients at more of risk than they need to be at, especially if they are immuno-compromised in any way!

No comments: