Thursday, September 29, 2011

Surgery: In the OR

First of all, I LOVE surgery and will likely operate in some way for a career. They have a problem, then they work to solve it. And its fun.

Second, I am going to tell you a true story:

In my FIRST day in the OR, I am scrubbed in on a case (sterile) along with the resident doctor and the attending doctor (a BIG shot pediatric surgeon). Well, she is yelling at nurses about everything and just not happy about the scene in general (in really crazy ways, like expecting unreal things from them).

So, she is doing stitches and I am "following" her (holding suture and pulling as she goes). Suddenly, her hand is pulling a stitch through and she brings her hand UP BY HER HEAD to pull the string taut. I am standing there and get hit in the HEAD with her hand. I have not moved an inch. She flips on me - "get out of here! you just ruined the sterile feild - scrub out and dont even think about scrubbing back in!" I backed away, staying calm, then derobed and stood in the corner as she went on. It was awkward, but a great story (not doing it justice here I guess).

Funny thing is it never bothered me - it was kind of funny, kind of sad, etc. But none of it really bothered me other than it gave me a GREAT story to tell!

The next morning we had breakfast together and then did an operation together where she was really sweet to me. However, she tore a new nurse a new one over the culture tubes.

(full story is funny)

Long story short, I love surgery, even with these maniacs. We have a problem, we talk about, then we go fix it. And to boot the residents say hello to me and introduce themselves to me. Its actually a good atmosphere. No bullshit time wasting so far...

Anyways, to bed for me - we have 4 nonemergency cases tomorrow (which means with emergency it could be much more).

I am finally looking forward to getting up in the morning.

No comments: