Although I am in the midst of packing (still), I have to post after today.
I was able to hear Dr. Jolly give an excellent talk on Haiti on Tuesday, and he was kind enough to meet with me today to share some of his work in Haiti with me. What a pleasant surprise the visit was! Having already encountered some "bitter" folks about medicine and work in developing countries, it was refreshing to meet someone so knowledgeable and passionate about it! We spoke at length about Haiti, the economic and health problems, and my upcoming experience. He even had some coffee made and offered a "cheers" as we took a coffee break.
It was such a refreshing experience. I left feeling like I was finally "ready" to go down and serve; although with the stories I've heard and read one can't help but wonder if he is ever ready. I was also invited to give a seminar upon returning from my trip - which I would love to do.
I left remembering Dr. Jolly's office remembering exactly why I came to Auburn and why I want to do work in a developing country.
Hopefully that won't get beat out of me too soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment