Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Day 2: Cervical Lesions

Today felt much more comfortable. I tried my best to speak Creole with folks, although I must admit I am going to leave this a short post so I can study tonight. Today I again helped Karl.
WE saw 5 patients today with HIV/AIDS. It was funny because there was blood on the floor, instruments simply in a trashcan, etc. throughout. Things are different here; you don’t have all the resources. It was quite interesting though. I got to assist with most of the procedures and even sit in front of the microscope looking down at cervical lesions. It was quite interesting.
I met with Dr Joseph today and we discussed my project. It looks like I will be evaluating retention in HIV vaccine trials. I am very excited about this. He went through old lectures of his to give me a starting point and some were in creole, some French, some English. He’s a pretty impressive guy to say the least; but knowing many languages seems to be much more common than I imagined.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

loving this stuff man....a true adventure. i admire your ability to mingle so well.